8.19.2006

airport

late last night i picked some
friends up from the airport (PDX)
everyone was there; parents, girlfriends, friends
the endless carpet,guards, pilots, flight
attendants, and carousels.

it made me love the airport's expensive food and
loopy parking garages. late. can't sleep.
2:00 am (pacific time) and i
don't know why.

i figured it out, almost. i
need my barefeet on that carpet
that stretched out like an ocean.
don't know why.

but i want something else.
and as i close my eyes
i know. i want only to
return from someplace.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

You know, there's so many powerful feelings surrounding airports; people coming, going, happy, sad, angry, whatever it is, it's everywhere. I like how you made it feel with this one, because you made a common feeling seem both very specific to you and yet still very general so that everyone can relate to it. Airports are tough to write about, but I like this.

Anonymous said...

I love this one Cody - especially the end. It reminds me of the beginning and end of love actually with the scenes in the airport. there's so much love there.

cody said...

thanks for the response. you know you're not the first to say that the poem reminds them of love actually.